Kaptur – five months into the projectPosted: March 6, 2012
This is our update for the end of the fifth month:
WP1: Project Management
- consortium agreement – waiting for the fourth institution to sign
- steering group meeting held (presentations available on SlideShare), minutes circulated, blog post
WP2: Environmental Assessment
- as reported previously, this phase is completed, although it is also feeding into the Technical Infrastructure phase
- environmental assessment report – this has gone through a series of iterations and we have received very positive feedback; it will be available from early next week to download: UCA Research Online
- the implementation plan was part of the original draft, and presented at the Steering Group meeting, but was then removed for clarity, and will now be made available as a series of blog posts this week
WP3: Technical Infrastructure
- The Technical Manager has met and interviewed IT staff from three institutions.
- In addition the four Project Officers have been involved in providing feedback on the technical requirements originating from the 16 interviews with visual arts researchers (from the Environmental Assessment phase).
- Last week the first draft of the Technical Analysis report was sent to the Principal Investigator and Co-Investigator.
- The Technical Manager is installing DataBank and DataStage for requirements testing and comparison with other software.
- The Project Officers have been contacting and meeting a range of stakeholders from across their institutions, and also working with the Project Sponsors.
- One institution has established a working group which will meet every 4-6 weeks; another institution has established a working group due to meet in early April.
- The other two institutions are in the process of forming their working groups, including identifying relevant stakeholders.
- This has occurred on a local basis during meetings held at each institution over the last month as part of WPs 3 and 4.
- Steering Group meeting
- The Technical Manager attended the PHP UK Conference 2012
- The UCA Project Officer attended the Digital Curation Centre (DCC) Roadshow, Loughborough
The past month was about transition, so there were a variety of challenges!
The environmental assessment report was drafted last month, but following the Steering Group meeting it went through a series of iterations which took longer than expected, and it has also been verified by the 16 interviewees.
The relationships built up during WP2: Environmental Assessment are leading into WPs 3 and 4; however as we are in the process of getting the working groups together this is naturally throwing up a lot of questions and queries from all parties.
The Project Sponsors have been very engaged with Kaptur and they have been working closely with the Project Officers.
All Project Officers, and the Technical Manager, have now attended the excellent Digital Curation Centre (DCC) Roadshows. This has provided us with a solid base to move onwards with the aims of Kaptur, however the next challenge is to grow that same awareness amongst the stakeholders at each institution. The following DCC Research data policy briefing (PDF) document is being used as a starting point for discussion for WP4: Modelling. This was discovered through a DCC blog post by Sarah Jones (December 2011).